Monday, December 23, 2013

The Manger and the Cross

Sorry y'all - Christmas has been busy and I have completely left this little blog in the dust trying to keep up! Here's a few updates of my crazy, little life:

 I finished up my first semester of junior year with a 4.0! It was a complete relief knowing that I no longer have to worry about finals or projects or percentages for a short 2 weeks :) 

Two days ago, I got to celebrate 1 year cancer free with my sweet momma! It is such a blessing to have her as a mentor and role model while also having her as my best friend. She is so strong & brave and I'm so grateful to be able to celebrate this gigantic milestone with her! 

I attended my first Lessons & Carols at Good Shepherd this past Sunday and boy, it just reminded me why I fell in love with this church all over again. The greening of the church was beautiful and it was jam packed with everyone.. It felt like Christmas! I'm so thankful to have found Good Shepherd 3 months ago (it does not feel like it was that long ago!) and be able to celebrate end of Advent in a community like the one at Good Shepherd.


One of my favorite Episcopal priests posted this as his Facebook status the other day; it was a part of his sermon for the 4th Sunday in Advent. 
  "Whomever we hated, Jesus loves. Whomever we feared, Jesus loves. Whomever we ignored, Jesus loves. He loves them enough to change them -- God leaves nobody unchanged -- but where we see castes and pyramids and social ladders, Jesus sees only the wounded in need of heaven's healing."
I too easily separate the manger from the cross, when in reality the coexist together throughout the Bible. My infinitely powerful God came into the world as a fragile, dependent child who desired to unveil a truth to a people He so loved. My infinitely powerful God grew into a man, bore my sin and subjected Himself to death on a cross: a perfect sacrifice for the whole world. 

I love Christmas.
Xoxo, Ash
 

No comments:

Post a Comment